Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Forgiveness Series...Part 1



Tis the Season for forgiveness right? Sometimes saying you forgive someone is actually easier than doing it. Whether that someone is yourself, a friend, a spouse, a child, a co-worker, or a stranger, it is required of us to forgive, and forgive fully.

The purpose of doing a series on Forgiveness is so that I am held accountable to my journey to the path of forgiveness. I read through a lesson titled "Of You It Is Required to Forgive" late last night, along with some readings from A Course In Miracles and a book called "Everyday Grace." I have to say my mind is there. The readings make sense, now if I could just get my heart to do them, right? 

So I started thinking, what are the root causes of not forgiving.  Since God is forgiving, then we should be more apt to forgiving for we are made in His image. Here is a list of why it is sometimes hard to forgive...

-requires humility
-requires not being right at times
-requires not seeking justice
-requires not giving credit or paying attention to feelings that don't matter
-requires effort
-requires seeing innocence in those we felt wronged by

And let's be honest, this is just the start of why forgiveness is hard and said in no plainer terms...it's hard! You see, a lot of the qualities, if not all, come from our ego and not from our Spirit.  Our heart wants us to forgive, our ego doesn't. 

I know that is a little tiny overview but we will dive more and more into the subject as the days go by. This way we can dive into the greater meat and potatoes (why do we use this term??? makes me think of my dad, lol) of the books and minds that have explored forgiveness and digest them fully.


No comments:

Post a Comment