Monday, January 21, 2013

Where is the Savior? Feeling Godly Sorrow


In a post I made about forgiveness and Godly Sorrow vs. Worldly Sorrow I made a list of symptoms or signs that one would feel if they are experiencing godly sorrow. I pointed out the differences between the two sorrows. Paraphrasing quickly, the difference is worldly sorrow seems to be a consequence of sin, where godly sorrow is the realization of the separation between you and God. The signs I listed in that post are:

"There are signs you will see if you have Godly Sorrow; you will have "reservoirs of compassion for those you have hurt, perhaps sore embarrassment, and finally and always a willingness to submit to whatever is necessary" to make things right. It may be an apology, a fixing and mending of hearts, etc. You would be willing to do whatever it takes to reestablish your standing with God. More signs of Godly Sorrow are:

  • absence of excuses
  • absence of blaming others
  • absence of alibis
  • willingness to restore to those we've hurt what we damaged, whether physically, emotionally, spiritually, mentally
  • willingness to apologize
  • willingness to confess
  • willingness to have compassion to those hurt"

At the time of the post, I was feeling worldly sorrow. The kind you feel when you miss your friend, miss having someone be there, miss being able to share the ups and downs, etc. I was more concerned with reconciling the worldly sorrow and repairing the friendship than repairing my relationship with my God. While I still feel the worldly sorrow intensely and still desire reconciliation, I have been feeling the "Godly Sorrow" now and am desperately seeking for the comforter that the Savior is. I am desperately looking for the "buckler" that the Savior is. The Consoler, the Protector, the Friend, the Healer, the Advocate, the Peacegiver, my Redeemer is who I am looking for. 

My experience the last week has left me confused, hurt, alone, and in desperate need of my Savior. I have lost 23lbs in 6 mos, have been vacant in feelings as a mom, have felt desolate, abandoned, and completely alone to shoulder the pain I brought to myself, my best friend, and my innocent kids. I have read several talks, books, forums, etc. seeking advice on how to dig out and use the Atonement. I have fasted, prayed, tried to repent, and I feel more alone than ever. I have come to the point where I don't know how to proceed. All I know is that my Savior is all of these things and doesn't lie or disappoint. Where is He? How do I find Him? All I know is I will keep looking for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment