Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Forgiveness....Among loved ones

For Ann


So in a previous post, I posed the question if it's easier to forgive those close to us or complete strangers during heinous and grievous acts. I've also talked with a lot of people and the common consensus seems to be that it's easier to forgive strangers. We already discussed why I think that is. Then today, I came upon a blog that cited two examples of people forgiving those who are very close to them. It lightened my soul in many ways. One of the stories I will post below.

First it gave me hope that it might happen in my own situation. I was family to my friend and her family. In fact, every card she wrote was signed with a deep affection, her family wrote cards of how great it was we were a part of their family, etc. I guess that's why it hurt so much to be dropped in an instant. Second, it restored my hope in humanity. For we know to return to our Heavenly Father we must forgive and love those that offended us with an increased love. And the story below gave me hope for that.

The example that I am posting below mostly has to do with the criminal justice process with a family that forgave their daughter's shooter. He was close with her family and considered family when he shot her point blank in the face while she was on her knees asking him not to shoot. The family forgave him, found compassion for him, and even asked for a reduced sentence of 10-15 years for the young man. They visit him in prison. They are friends with his family. The reason I use this post is because the act was so heinous and yet these people had the courage, knowledge, and God's love, to look at Conor as a child of God and forgive him. They also said a main motivation for forgiving him was so they wouldn't feel stuck.

The story is found here, it is 10 pages long.

NYTIMES ARTICLE




No comments:

Post a Comment