Monday, February 4, 2013

Tender Mercies of the Lord through the Atonement



Not sure where the saying came from but this is so true..."You don't know how much you need air till you're drowning." Sometimes you don't know how much you need the Atonement and the Savior, till you are broken hearted, downtrodden, and without the air the Savior has to offer.

"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised." Isaiah 61



As I have been reading through every Atonement book I can get my hands on, I am learning how nothing I am without the Savior. With Him I can be everything but I am nothing without Him. Now, I know that is not something most everyone already knows. It's not like I am offering you a newsflash! But the understanding of it was a newsflash to me!

In the case with my ex, I saw the tender mercies of the Lord everywhere! People stopping by, new friendships formed. My broken heart was mended and held in the palms of His hands. People seemed to come out of the woodwork to help buoy my little family. There were countless blessings poured out amongst me and my two kiddos. One of which was my best friend. The happiness, comfort, and countless help she provided to our family was one of the Lord's most tender mercies.

And now as I go through this time with the heartbreak from a broken friendship, I see the tender mercies once again. The tender mercy of compassion and an increased love for my friend, a Heavenly Father who knows me so well who has given me comfort where no one else could, the tender mercy of repentance and forgiveness. Air from the Savior, desperately needed, came at a time when I felt I could no longer press forward. The sting of heartache that begs you to turn to the Lord for forgiveness and love is the greatest of tender mercies from my Heavenly Father.

Elder Bednar stated some of the ways that tender mercies are demonstrated in our lives..." Through personal study, observation, pondering, and prayer, I believe I have come to better understand that the Lord’s tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ. Truly, the Lord suits “his mercies according to the conditions of the children of men” And then he says, "Repentance and forgiveness of sins and peace of conscience are examples of the tender mercies of the Lord. And the persistence and the fortitude that enable us to press forward with cheerfulness through physical limitations and spiritual difficulties are examples of the tender mercies of the Lord.

I emphatically testify that the Savior of all men can save us from the heartache, depression, downtrodden discouragement, painful loneliness, abandonment, and all kinds of hurts and blemishes, as we turn to Him and beg for the consoling, comfort, and healing balm of the Savior. Whether your hurts are caused by sin, adversity, someone else, or tragic accident, He will be there for you. It may not come till after the trial of your faith, but it will come. I am as messed up as they come and He cares enough to love me, so I know He will do the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment