Monday, June 17, 2013

Teddy and me...Getting real up in the grill.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs.... [And] if he fails, at least fails while Daring Greatly." --Theodore Roosevelt



There is a book called Daring Greatly by Brene Brown, who is currently my fav social worker in the world. She is amazing...introduced to me by my dearest friend. My friend is the one that gave me the courage to Dare Greatly and trust others that they will love me for my weaknesses not despite my weaknesses. She has taught me the true meaning of friendship, love and family.  I truly am blessed to have met someone as loving, kind, and spiritual as she. We have known each other for over two and half decades and she is a rock in my family foundation. Never moving.

Sorry, got off topic here for a minute. So I want to be the person that stands in the arena of vulnerability and who is marred by the dust and sweat and blood of never quitting despite all of my weaknesses and insecurities. And if I do fail, well then, I too, will fail while Daring Greatly. I will not fail by not trying, or listening to those who encourage me to take the weak way out. I will embrace the truth of who I am, my capabilities, and seek to overcome them and become what the divine nature in me has to offer. I will find compassion for those who have tossed me to the side, or not taken the time to get to know the real me. I will find healing balm for those I have hurt. I will seek to build others and grow through seeking the divine within.

I will dare greatly to engage, show compassion, seek forgiveness, give forgiveness, and move to who I was meant to be because of who I am. 

My commitment to daring greatly will take me to areas of being vulnerable and sharing with you some of my deepest, not scary, sometimes dark parts of who I am, because it will more exhibit the light I have. Wow, now that was deep. I don't even know who is typing this. 



Ok, quick funny story...I was talking to my son about vulnerability and we were playing soccer. Needless to say, I hurt my foot that had already been broken playing soccer once, when my son looked at me and said, "Mom, soccer hates you, maybe it's time to hang up the boots." Yes, I am getting older. How was that for embracing a vulnerability?

Here's to daring greatly and finding courage, compassion and connection through being vulnerable. I may be intermixing Brene's awesomeness, but this makes sense to me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment