Monday, June 24, 2013

Karen Armstrong, the golden rule, and forgiveness...


“In friendship...we think we have chosen our peers. In reality a few years' difference in the dates of our births, a few more miles between certain houses, the choice of one university instead of another...the accident of a topic being raised or not raised at a first meeting--any of these chances might have kept us apart. But, for a Christian, there are, strictly speaking no chances. A secret master of ceremonies has been at work. Christ, who said to the disciples, "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you," can truly say to every group of Christian friends, "Ye have not chosen one another but I have chosen you for one another." The friendship is not a reward for our discriminating and good taste in finding one another out. It is the instrument by which God reveals to each of us the beauties of others.” 


Friendship, Forgiving, Compassion, and the Golden Rule


In this video Karen talks about how people are more concerned with being right rather than doing right. She talks about the opposite of the golden rule which is don't do to others what we don't want them to do with us. She talks about the global impact and society but I want to bring it back to a personal note and share what it means personally and with forgiveness.

For instance, we have a choice to forgive those who have hurt us with the golden rule that we want others to forgive us. We can look at the opposite which is we don't want to hate those who have hurt us because we don't want others who we've hurt to hate us.

Let's take it one step further. We forgive others because we want our God to forgive us.

My pbff has been ignoring me now for 6 mos under the pretense she can't fix what she did to me and what I did to her. I knowing how bad it hurts must never ignore someone else. I have to look at her story, find compassion and treat her the way I would hope she would me. This to me is compassionate thinking. Tell me what you think about this video. Warning: this is deep.

Challenge those you see who are not compassionate whether personally, locally, within your community, your religion, push compassion.


No comments:

Post a Comment